9.02.2015

RIPX

September is here, which means it is time for one of my favorite reading challenges - Readers Imbibing Peril! Can you believe that it is the 10th year for this challenge?! Carl, from Stainless Steel Droppings started this reading challenge to honor all things creepy for the beginning of Fall in 2005 - and this year has decided to turn the hosting over to Andi & Heather from The Estella Society. I am so excited to get started on this reading challenge... Fall is my favorite time of year for many reasons - I love the cool temperatures, the beautiful foliage, Pumpkin Spice Lattes, all things Halloween, creepy reads, and scary movies. That is why RIP is always a must-do for  me. RIPX features multiple levels of the challenge - Peril of the First, Peril of the Second, Peril of the Third, Peril of the Short Story, Peril of the Group Read, and Peril on the Screen.

Here's an quick run-down:
~ RIPX runs from September 1st to October 31st
~ Readalong The Quick by Lauren Owen with Amanda at Fig and Thistle for Peril of the Group Read
~ You can watch and review creepy movies and shows with Peril of the Screen
~ Everyone can find a reading level to participate - levels are as follows: 1 book (Peril of the Third), 2 books (Peril of the Second) or 4+ books (Peril of the First)

~ RIPX has it's own review site, which you can find here

I will participate at the Peril of the First level. I will also complete the Peril of the Short Story and Peril on the Screen This year's group read is The Quick by Lauren Owen - I am undecided on this one... I started this 2 times over the past year and gave up both times. In May, I read 35% of the book and then did not finish. I am not sure yet whether or not I will be giving it a try again. For me, it was just a bit too slow... however, with a group read, it makes the book seem even more fun and with people to discuss it, maybe I will find pleasure in it and power through - I've heard many a great things about this book but I just haven't been able to finish it and find those great things for myself. Time will tell.

I don't yet have a stack - I've been camping and just returned home so throughout this week I will be hunting down my book stack for RIPX. In the meantime, I will be starting out by reading The Frangipani Hotel by Violet Kupersmith

So, please join in and have fun reading everything creepy, gothic, macabre, horror, mystery, thriller, suspense... you get the idea. Just don't turn out the lights!!


write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow

No comments:

Post a Comment