12.11.2010

Thanksgiving on Thursday & Pilgrims

Thanksgiving on Thursday (Magic Tree House #27)
Just popping in with a quick post...  last month I read aloud
Thanksgiving on Thursday {Magic Tree House #27} by Mary Pope Osborne to my classroom.  I've always liked Magic Tree House because they seem to tie in very well with many of the thematic units or lessons I present in class.  Thanksgiving on Thursday obviously tied in to the progression of our history lessons in November, which naturally coincides with the pilgrims & Thanksgiving. 
Magic Tree House Research Guide #13: Pilgrims: A Nonfiction Companion to Magic Tree House #27: Thanksgiving on Thursday (A Stepping Stone Book(TM))This was the first time I used one of the research guides.  Pilgrims: A Nonfiction Companion to Thanksgiving on Thursday by Mary Pope Osborne and Natalie Pope Boyce was easy to use and incorporate in the read aloud.  I love the way the research guide was written- answers to typical Thanksgiving-themed questions, facts from Annie & Jack {the characters in all the Magic Tree House stories} and great pictures & illustrations.  My students also enjoyed the research guide, not just while I read from it, but also on their own.  They never pick up the read aloud book {'cause really, why would they?  I'm reading it to them!} but they did pick up this research guide, even though I was reading it to them.  They were totally intrigued by the informative text and the fun facts from Annie & Jack.
I would recommend this to any parent or teacher- all the Magic Tree House stories have teachable moments, both in respect to life in general and an interesting topic.  I'm already looking into other Magic Tree Houses to use in the upcoming months.


write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow

No comments:

Post a Comment