12.04.2014

Mini Review : We Are the Goldens


We Are the Goldens by Dana Reinhardt
Wendy Lamb Books // May 27, 2014
hardcover, 208 pgs
ISBN: 978-0385742573
source: egalley from the publisher

About the book:
Nell worships her older sister, Layla. They're one unit, intertwined: Nellayla. As Nell and her best friend, Felix, start their freshman year in high school, on Layla's turf, there's so much Nell looks forward to: Joining Layla on the varsity soccer team. Parties. Boys. Adventures.
   But the year takes a very different turn.
   Layla is changing, withdrawing. She's hiding something, and when Nell discovers what it is, and the consequences it might have, she struggles. She wants to support Layla, to be her confidante, to be the good sister she's always been. But with so much at stake, what secrets should she keep? What lies should she tell?

My (shortened) thoughts
I have mixed feelings about this one. It is a fast paced read, but it is also sloppy. The writing is messy, and I get that it needs to be, since it's narration is a letter written by a high school freshman... but, I think it still could have been better. I quickly was annoyed with Nell's ramblings, but I HAD to know what was going on, so I pressed on. I honestly don't think another point of view our different narration would be better, I think it just needs some cleaning around the edges.  This was a really quick read and a serious page turner. I had a few hunches, one was right, one I'll never know the answer to. Even though I guessed at some of the plot, I still enjoyed the read- knowing what was coming didn't make it any less shocking or meaningful.  My other issue was that ending. I mean,  OMG. I literally sat up on bed and yelled "what?!" at that. Talk about a cliffhanger, and (maybe?) a set up.  Overall, a good book. Quick read, interesting concept, and full of drama.



write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow

Image from Netgalley, book synopsis from Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment